Start at the top and work down:
- Paint the ceiling white to bounce the maximum amount of light around.
- Paint the walls white or a very light colour to bounce the maximum amount of light around.
- Paint the wooden trims in an eggshell or satin or gloss white, or very light colour, to maximise light.
- Paint furniture that is past it’s prime, white.
- Paint anything which doesn’t match your colour scheme, white, so that it is as neutral as possible, and disappears into the room, rather than standing out and “taking up space”.
- If you have a small room, with unfinished floor boards, paint the floor boards white, if you can’t afford to finish them properly.
- If you have a smooth concrete floor, you can paint it white, to lighten the room. It must be very smooth though.
- Replace light fittings with a white/ cream coloured one that emits as much light as possible, and put the brightest LED bulb in that you can, to bounce lots of light around the room.
- Replace carpet with an extremely light carpet (you are not going for a practical approach, you are going for a good looking approach), or expose floor boards, and varnish them so that they bounce light around the room.